01 April 2009

Studying The Internet

My first encounter with the Internet:

At university in late 70’s and early 80’s a lecturer was introducing us to the library services. He mentioned a new resource called “arnet” (or something like that) that was available to access the university library and other libraries. I can’t seem to find a reference to it on the internet so maybe this isn’t the correct spelling. It operated with a system similar to telnet and it didn’t impress me because at the time I felt that the library had all the resources I needed and an adequate local database index system to locate the relevant books.

The next time I was introduced to the internet without realizing that it was similar technology was at work when we started using on-line ordering for some of our supplies. It didn’t really come as a technological shock but rather a practical solution to streamlining our supply chain.

The versatility of the internet really attracted me when I understood how to use a search engine like Yahoo. Then it became popular with my peers and I actually had people I could email. It probably wasn’t until the mid 90’s that I was using the internet in a limited way for email and file transfer but as more internet services have gone on-line like banking, games, remote access, education etc. I have gradually come to rely on its convenience and now view it as a tool that has unlimited potential.

I still seem to be catching up with the concepts and products that are available but I accept that there are volumes of applications that I have access to and can experiment with for my personal and professional use. The internet has created an enormous resource and it now seems so easy to have the information so easily accessible.

Is it different or part of my everyday life?
My life revolves around work, family and church.
  • At work, the use of internet for commercial tasks is being promoted as a way of streamlining functions and reducing costs so using and promoting the use of software via the internet is a major part of my work.
  • Everyone in my family uses the internet; for school, communication with friends, playing games, downloading programs, ordering groceries or buying on eBay.
  • I use the online Bible and the numerous websites dedicated to discussion about religious topics to prepare lectures and talks.

If a task or function can be performed via the internet then I will gladly use it.

No comments: